When patients have difficulty conceiving its best that the patient/ couple is evaluated by a Denver fertility specialist who evaluates women with fertility issues. At the initial appointment a medical history will be reviewed and a limited physical exam will be performed. After being seen by a fertility doctor Colorado trusts, the doctor may determine testing is needed to find the cause of infertility. Common tests for evaluating infertility include:
· Checking the fallopian tubes- This can be done with an HSG or a Femvue procedure. With either of these procedures liquid is injected thru the cervix and examined as it travels thru the uterus and fallopian tubes. The tests to check the uterus and tubes will help determine if the fallopian tubes are blocked or if the uterus has an abnormal shape.
· Tests for ovarian reserve or egg quality. There are several ways to test egg quality and include ultrasound pictures of the ovaries for an antral follicle count or blood tests for hormones on day 2, 3 or 4 of the menstrual cycle. Tests for egg quality are especially important in women over 30 years of age.
· Semen analysis to assess the quality and quantity of sperm
· Ultrasound of the uterus and ovaries
· Occasionally, additional evaluation is necessary based on the above findings and clinical history. These can include a laparoscopy to look for endometriosis or adhesions, endometrial biopsies, a hysteroscopy to look in the uterus or genetic studies.
In couples with difficulties conceiving 30% of the time it will be a female issue only, 30% of the time it will be a male issue only and 20% of the time it is both a male and female issue. Approximately 25% of couples who undergo fertility testing will have no abnormal results and no clear cause of their infertility.
Dr. Deborah Smith is a Colorado fertility specialist, and has been successfully treating patients with comprehensive fertility treatments for over 20 years. She was recently named the Top Fertility Doctor in Colorado by Health Tap, and has won the coveted Patient’s Choice Award 3 years in a row.
Currently, Rocky Mountain Fertility Center is offering complimentary 15 minute phone consultations to discuss your fertility goals and needs. Dr. Smith is the best fertility doctor in Colorado, call (303) 999-3877 for more information and scheduling today!